The Hallenbeck Funeral Home was started in 1912 by Andrew G. and Myrta Hallenbeck. They were both licensed funeral directors in various towns in Minnesota and Wisconsin. They moved to Madison from Lacrosse, Wisconsin and took over the Costello Funeral Home following Mr. Costello's death.
The funeral home was located on the corner of First Street and Egan Avenue, next to George Beck's Furniture Store. In 1916, the Hallenbecks and Becks moved across the street (205 North Egan Avenue) where the Hallenbecks operated the funeral home upstairs and Mr. Beck had the furniture business downstairs. In 1919, the Hallenbecks bought the house at 321 North Egan Avenue, which has served as the funeral home since 1927. The house was built in 1906 as a family dwelling by J.W. Davison, the first general merchant in Madison.
The Hallenbecks bought out Beck's Furniture in 1925 and added a second furniture store in 1954, which is also the year they added a garage and selection room to the funeral home. The Hallenbecks had seven children: John, Mark, Carol, Robert, Donald, Andrew, Jr., who died as a child, and Carl, who died in infancy. John, Mark, Robert and Donald were all licensed funeral directors, as was John and Lucille's son, and Mark and Agnes' son, Edward. Carol Hallenbeck Breen, the last surviving Hallenbeck, died in 1993.